Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:07:57 -0600
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New BSDinstall ISOs

On 01/28/11 17:03, Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:02:15 -0600
> Nathan Whitehorn<nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>  wrote:
>
>> Following requests from many people, it is now possible to revise
>> setup for the new OS after going through the configuration steps and
>> before committing and rebooting (this is *almost* a back button).
>> ISOs for i386 and amd64 that implement this change, as well as
>> several other improvements, can be found here:
> I found a few issues:
>
> 1. An empty label in the partition editor shows up as (null) when
> modifying the partition.

This comes from the kernel. I can add something to s/(null)// in
partedit to improve the display.

> 2. Create a single partition covering the entire disk with a GPT
> scheme and you get prompted to create a freebsd-boot partition. It
> displays an error saying there's no space left but displays the
> freebsd-boot partition in the list.
Hm. This is with the manual part editor, or the auropartitioner?
> 3. Modifying freebsd-ufs to freebsd-zfs in the partition editor seems
> to confuse bsdinstall - I know ZFS probably isn't supported.
No, it isn't. It should probably not become confused, however, so I'll
see about handling that intelligently.
> 4. Going back into bsdinstall after installation and going through the
> steps again failed when it tried to extract (null)/kernel.tgz . It said
> it was an invalid URL scheme.
Since you don't have the distfiles on your hard drive, it is trying to
fetch them from the internet. Since there isn't anywhere to fetch them
from yet, the default mirror is "". If you copy /usr/bsdinstall-dist
from the CD, it will work again.
-Nathan