Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:14:18 +0200
From:      "Mauritz Sundell" <mauritz.sundell@telia.com>
To:        "Abc Xyz" <abc@anchorageinternet.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /dev/null and 2>&-

----- Original Message -----
From: "Abc Xyz" <abc@anchorageinternet.org>
To: "freebsd-questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 10:05 AM
Subject: /dev/null and 2>&-

> i just installed 4.6-RELEASE, and notice that
> the '2>&-' sh (FBSD) construct seems to be broken.
> i am going thru all my scripts having to change
> it to /dev/null ...
In what way is it broken?

If the construct is generally used for hiding errormessages, one
should probably replace it with '2>/dev/null' anyway, since 2>&-
only closes filedescriptor 2 at startup of program and the first file
the program opens will be assigned the very same and all output
to stderr will come up in that file.

Example,
sh> tee < /dev/null 2>&- empty /nonexistent/missingfile
sh> cat empty
tee: /nonexistent/missingfile: No such file or directory
sh>

sh> tee < /dev/null 2>/dev/null empty /nonexistent/missingfile
sh> cat empty
sh>

Mauritz Sundell, mauritz.sundell@telia.com