Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:25:52 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sten_Daniel_S=F8rsdal?= <sten.daniel.sorsdal@wan.no>
To:        "Timothy Opie" <timopie@dodo.com.au>, <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: BSD support?

>=20
> Hi all,
>=20
> I am patiently saving money to purchase a laptop, hopefully=20
> by the end of this year. I would like to know if there are=20
> any laptop manufacturers that specificially support BSD, and=20
> by supporting they choose specific default hardware=20
> configurations that will give the least problems on BSD.
>=20
> I did a BSD-Google search for laptop and notebook, and=20
> noticed that Dell came up more than any other company. I have=20
> been contemplating getting the Dell Inspiron 5150.
>=20
> Does anyone have any comments on this model, or can anyone=20
> recommend a more BSD friendly laptop?
>=20
> Cheers,
> Tim
>=20
>=20

Personally i own a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M (1ghz celery) and i run =
5-CURRENT.

The only problems i've had with it is that it requires ACPI to boot=20
(some weird non existing flash blocks the kernel in endless timeout =
loop).

The only things i've had troubles with is;
ACPI (lidclosing and standby breaks - everything else seems to work).
Havent had the chance to fix the modem drivers (not recognized, i only =
got mobile phone).

Everything else works very well and i cant complain about the =
performance.

I recommend Fujitsu-Siemens, they have yet to disappoint me. (all my =
coworkers are also happy).

// Sten