Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 1999 01:40:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Adam Strohl <adams@digitalspark.net>
To:        Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Celeron + FreeBSD?

On 5 Nov 1999, Kevin Street wrote:

> I really had 2 points:
> 1) Dual Celeron's do work pretty well given a good workload

I agree, I'm quite happy with mine :)

> 2) Your assertion that we need more memory bandwidth to go much faster
> on the buildworld - I disagree, or at least I think we have not wrung
> all the SMP performance out of build world that we should.  One big
> problem with make -j N is that it does ok at parallelizing the compile
> of large subdirectories with lots of C modules since it starts many
> compiles at once.  <SNIP>

Excellent point, I've noticed this, too, I hope these changes can be
eventually commited as this is definatly holding my system back.  I see my
second CPU go idle for good chunks of time while its linking something.

Glad to see someone hacking into the problem.

     If we fail, we _will_ lose the war -- http://www.mozilla.org/

-  UNIX Operations/Systems               http://www.digitalspark.net  -
-  adams (at) digitalspark.net                    xxx.xxx.xxxx xxxxx  -