Date:      Thu, 07 May 1998 11:37:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        George Vagner <vagner@spdc.ti.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: too many hops

Did not follow the whole thread but maybe i could help anyway.

On 07-May-98 George Vagner wrote:
> where do i find my "mx records" and what do they do?

MX-records are entries in nameserver-config-files, defining
some mailexchanger for a domain or a network. If you are running
a authoritative nameserver for your own zone or network, add
something like "       in mx 30 your-mx-at.your.isp" after the
soa-record in your zone- and reverse-zone-file.
your-mx-at.your.isp should be a mail-hub or mail-relay at your
isp.
Better read "DNS & BIND" on this stuff.
Another way is to let your isp change his nameserver-files if he is
authoritative for your domain.

"/etc/sendmail.cw" is a file that should contain domain-names you want
sendmail to accept mails for.
For example you may want to add

localhost
mutsgo.kf7nn.com
customcpu.com

into /etc/sendmail.cw
Make sure something like "Fw-o /etc/sendmail.cw" is found in your
/etc/sendmail.cf file

Hope that was useful

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>