Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2023 16:29:26 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Cc:        fbsd@www.zefox.net
Subject:   Persuading ssh -X to work from a RasPiOS system

After a recent round of upgrades to both FreeBSD-current and RasPiOS64
it developed that running
ssh -X  [freebsd hostname]
gets me logged in, but issuing
xterm -sb
reports
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm: DISPLAY is not set

After looking at the man page I repeated the experiment
using
ssh -Y
to open the connection, with the same result.

The X server side has
X11Forwarding yes
in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, I haven't tampered with anything
yet on the FreeBSD side.

The display server is on a local subnet connecting via
router to a public address, but that didn't cause any
problems before. All addressing is IPV4.

Any hints what might be wrong? I haven't tried this
experiment in a while, so it's unclear which side is
causing the trouble.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska