Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:34:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        patseal@hyperhost.net (Patrick Seal)
Cc:        deb@pobox.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup frequency?

> I'm running 3.1-STABLE on a box that I depend on, but that isn't
> mission critical (seems like a good description of a box that should
> be running -STABLE, from what I've seen).  How often does it make
> sense to cvsup/make world?  (Not counting when I see particular fixes
> that I want to incorporate.)  I'm thinking about just on a regular
> basis sort of tracking of stable, here.

At the office, we've got a machine that does a CVSup followed by a
"make world" once a week.  It has /usr/src and /usr/obj exported via
NFS.  Once a month, we check to make sure the last build was
successful, and then do "make installworld" over the network
from the other servers.  The build machine also does "make release"
periodically, so we can use it as an FTP or NFS target for new
installs.

At home, I CVSup weekly.  I examine the CVSup log to see if anything
interesting has changed.  If so, I "make world", and make a new
kernel if the change was to a kernel module.

Otherwise, I tend to make world and the kernel on the first of each
month to catch up all the pending fixes.  I kind of like having a
first-of-the-month date stamp on my binaries, but I'm kinda anal
about that stuff.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net