Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:00:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

brain_damaged wrote:

> this is confusing to me.
> when setting permissions to file/directoreis etc
> and using the 775 or whatver number how do you know if a user, group or owner
is accessing the file or directory ?
> is the a good chmod for dummies ?
> and what is the differences between
> chmod
> chroot
> chown
> and how to you decide or know which one to use.
> I have the walnut creek book but still CHconfusing to me.
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Hi Mark,

try the following:

man chmod
man chroot
man chown

and (of course)

man man

Now to your questions:

chown changes the owner (you must have a group and a user owning a file or
directory)
chmod changes the access modes for files and directories.

mkdir /home/testuser
chown testuser:testgroup
chmod 750

is the following: create a directory, declare the owner as testuser and
testgroup and allow the user all things in the directory, the group listing and
reading and the rest (without the superuser "root") nothing.

Where came the numbers from?
4 - read
2 - write
1 - execute (files); list (directories)

add some together and you have the numbers. For more read the man-pages. Or:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/permissions.html

Hope that helps

Marc

PS: If you not know these stuff you are not interested in chroot :)