Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:48:27 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Ryan Thompson" <ryan@sasknow.com>, "William Nunn" <yorkie123@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Remotely Exploitable telnetd bug

Your right - what I should have said is that just about all of the various
protocols in the TCP/IP umbrella are insecure, because TCP/IP left
encryption up to the application layer to implement, not the packet layer.

Since the IP packet standard does not specify that the payload of the packet
is encrypted - there is no mechanism for it in IPv4 -
this is the real reason that Telnet is insecure.  IP could have been designed
from the beginning to encrypt all data payloads, with extensible encryption
so that as holes were discovered (like the too small DES key) that the
encryption could have been made stronger.  This would obviously have
fundamentally changed the IP protocol stack, for example connectionless
protocols would have been petty hard to implement!  It's also difficult to
see what value that encryption would hold for things like broadcast packets.
(anti spoofing, perhaps?)

>>  FTP, POP3 and many other commonly used TCP/IP protocols are
>> inherently insecure using this definition.
>
>Definitely.  In fact, POP is quite a problem because I don't know of
>any well-known secure alternative.

Actually, if you think about it, POP3 is not as much a problem.  Look at it
this way.  What is transferred over POP3?  E-mail.  How does that E-mail
get there to be transferred?  SMTP mostly.

Now, if an attacker wanted to sniff your e-mail, all he needs to do is sniff
the incoming SMTP he doesen't need to bother looking at the POP3 session
at all.  Sure, POP3 does pass the password in the clear - but all the POP3
password gets the attacker is access to your mailbox, and that just lets
him steal your mail.  If your frequently checking e-mail then it's unlikely
he could make off with the bulk of your incoming e-mail without causing
noticeable trouble, since POP servers don't permit concurrent access to
the mailbox.