Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:25:49 -0500
From:      "Grant Peel" <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Identifying a Remote Machine.

Hi all,

Try not to laugh too hard here ....

I have several servers, each with hundreds of IPs on them.

I am attempting to write a php script that will connect to each ip and =
identify the 'hostname' as set in rc.conf.

I have been looking at icmp, env etc, and can't find a method. I was =
also loioking at ping, but it does not show the hostname.

The only reply I need from the server is the hostname. That will tell ne =
that the IP is live and what machine its on.

Is there any suggestions?

-Grant