Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 2004 12:18:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Subject:   Re: losing serial console

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> ok I further tested things and cannot get serial console with either
> 4BSD or ULE with sources from around 20040707-2120 UTC so it's not a
> problem of the scheduler.

If you back out to before July 2, 2004, does life get any better?  That's
the day John committed the preemption changes.

> I'd really like to know why the thing is rebooting somewhen later but
> it's some kind of problem w/o console.
>
> Could it be a problem with pxeboot ? (I also had tried older ones I had
> lying around but no change).
>
> I tested with and without the following in make.conf:
> BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT=  0x3F8
> BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED= 9600
>

> here's what a show gives before booting:
<snip>
> Anyone ?

All your settings looke reasonable to me.  Has anything changed WRT ACPI
use on your system in the last week?  Nate committed the ACPI blacklist
stuff, and I have several boxes that fail to properly use serial ports
when not using ACPI.  If ACPI suddenly turned off, that could have
triggered the problem?

robert@fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research