Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2014 18:01:31 +0100
From:      Markus Gebert <markus.gebert@hostpoint.ch>
To:        Christopher Forgeron <csforgeron@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: 9.2 ixgbe tx queue hang

On 20.03.2014, at 16:50, Christopher Forgeron <csforgeron@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> Markus,
>=20
> I just wanted to clarify what dtrace will output in a 'no-error'
> situation. I'm seeing the following during a normal ping (no errors) =
on
> ix0, or even on a non-problematic bge NIC:
>=20
>=20

This is expected. This dtrace probe will fire if any kernel function =
that is run in the context of a process named =93ping=94 returns 27, =
which is what EFBIG stands for. Kernel functions can return 27 for many =
reasons, not just an error, or they can return void (not sure how dtrace =
handles this case). Anyway, this dtrace one-liner is only meant to be =
used in the error case. Otherwise it=92s probably useless. And even when =
the problem occurs, you need to pick the right stack trace, and dig =
around kernel sources to verify that the functions indeed return EFBIG =
and not any integer that happens to be 27 by accident.

Markus