Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:10:15 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2-RELEASE panics: a theory

Hi...

	Because of all the recent problems with 2.2-RELEASE's kernel, I
decided to plug back in one of my older kernels (from Feb 7th) to see if
I had the same problems...so far so good.

	To test it, I decided to perform the same routine that I was doing
that seemed to provoke the previous reboots: cd /usr/src; make cleandir

	With the Feb 7th kernel, I eventually get:

===> games/caesar
rm -f a.out Errs errs mklog caesar caesar.o caesar.6.gz
rm -f .depend tags
===> games/canfield
===> games/canfield/canfield
fatal process exception: page fault, fault VA = 0x3f689
Segmentation fault - core dumped
*** Error code 139

	Now, granted, the above is most likely a memory problem, but,
personally, I think a SegFault/core dump is better then a system crash.

	I'm performed the make cleandir twice so far, and they both died
with the above error in /usr/src/games...

	Did something change that makes a reboot/crash of the system
preferable to just SegFaulting, which seems to be what is happening with
the 2.2-RELEASE kernel?  I think that the SegFault is a much more friendly
(kind?) way of handling it...