Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 08:53:50 -0500
From:      Dave  Bender <bendede@startribune.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Network adapter -- host is down

I'm new to FreeBSD and have hit a snag in the installation. I can't get my network adapter card to work and I'm running out of places to check. Hope you can help.

I have three computers. Two are running Windows variants, the third is now running FreeBSD. They're connected by Ethernet. All have generic (LinkSys) NE2000 compatible network adapters.

>From the FreeBSD machine, if I run ping to another machine, I get this error

ping: sendto: Host is down
ping: sendto: Host is down
ping: sendto: Host is down

I'm not sure what "host" it's referring to, but the other two machines are up and on the network. I can ping from one to the other. Neither can ping the FreeBSD machine.

The IP address for the FreeBSD machine is 10.0.0.4. An NT machine is 10.0.0.1 and a Win95 machine is 10.0.0.2.

If I try to make the FreeBSD machine ping itself (ping 10.0.0.4) I get good results, the number of bytes returned, etc.

The loopback test (ping 127.0.0.1) also works (I wonder if they're really doing the exact same thing, i.e. whether the loopback address gets converted to the host address before the ping starts).

I believe that the machine is recognizing the network adapter. During bootup, I get

ed0 at 0x300-0x31f irq 10 on isa
ed0: address 00:40:05:3a:50:95, type NE2000 (16 bit)

so it seems that FreeBSD is able to get the card's Ethernet address.

Lines that look important in rc.conf are:

hostname="FreeBie2"
nisdomainname="NO"
network_interfaces"ed0 lo0"
ifconfig_ed0="inet 10.0.0.4 netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"

Does anything look blatantly wrong? What else can I check for errors/info?

The gameplan for this machine, by the way, is to turn it into a router. I'll add a modem and hope to use that as the other network interface. But, first things first.