Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 10:52:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        jbh@labyrinth.net.au, robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de (Robert Schien)
Subject:   Re: CD RRE

As Robert Schien wrote:

> I use 'mkisofs' (it comes with FreeBSD) to create a CD image. 'mkisofs' has
> several options, one is to use RRE. Look at the man page.
>
> The actual burning is done with 'wormcontrol'. Again see the man page.

Jordan also checked in his scripts under /usr/share/examples recently.
You might wanna have a look at them.

> BTW, the CD burner support appeared after the 2.1.0-RELEASE.

That's only partially correct.  Of course, if you define `after' as
being `at any time after' -- you're right.  If you define it as `soon
after', you're wrong.

The worm driver has been created by Peter Dufault first, without ever
seeing such a device before.  This one was shipping with 2.1R, but it
could only serve as a base for experiments.  Once i've got my fingers
on the first CD-R i've ever seen, a Yamaha CDR-100, i noticed that we
need some sort of ``SCSI type override'', where you could assign a
device lying about its identity to another driver.  Many CD-R devices
sometimes or always claim to be a CD-ROM, but we need to assign them
to the WORM driver.  This was the hour when i've been importing the
changes for the type override into the *2.2* branch.

Later on, i've got my current Plasmon CD-R.  The machine was still
running 2.1 (or perhaps even 2.0.5, i don't remember exactly) by that
time, but with my type override modifications.  After getting the SCSI
reference manual for the Plasmon (and experimenting with some userland
proof-of-example code using scsi(8)), i finally designed a scheme to
hook up subdrivers for different CD-R models into the driver, and
wrote the missing pieces of the worm(4) driver.  I retrofitted them
into 2.2-current in order to commit them to the tree.

Once this worked reasonably well, i decided to no longer maintain two
version of the driver (one locally on my 2.1 machine, one for the
-current sources), but upgraded my machine at work to some relatively
stable -current system around January 1996.  From this on, the worm
driver has only been maintained in the 2.2 branch (but didn't
experience major changes anyway).

A couple of weeks ago, when it came to the point to decide about its
destiny for 2.1.5, i've been faced with two options: either remove the
(defunct) old worm driver, or upgrade it to almost-2.2-current.  I
picked the latter route, but without the SCSI type override changes,
since these would have affected the entire SCSI subsystem.  So 2.1.5
will ship with a worm driver that is functional but will probably only
work with Plasmon devices, since at least all the HP burners will be
assigned to the `cd' driver.

--
cheers, J"org