Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 2010 09:12:06 -0400
From:      Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using an SSD "disk" for /

On Nov 2, 2010, at 1:31 PM, Mikhail T. wrote:

> Hello!
>=20
> I'm setting up a new system and would like to use a moderate (64Gb or =
128Gb) SSD-drive to boot from.
>=20
> This will house /, /var, /home, and the /usr/local and thus see plenty =
of activity, whenever src and ports are updated, or "world" is remade, =
or packages are upgraded. I'm hoping, these operations would be much =
faster, than with a regular HDD.
>=20
> However, people mention, that SSDs develop /severe/ performance =
degradation if written to A LOT -- unless some SDD-specific operation =
(TRIM) is used, but not all Operating Systems support that... Does =
FreeBSD-8? Is that sufficient, or will an SSD degrade quickly anyway?
>=20
> Does anyone use an SSD under FreeBSD? Which brand/model? Are you happy =
with it?

I setup a pfsense system at work with an Intel SSD.  It was overkill, =
but we wanted high uptime.  It was well worth the money.  Not all SSDs =
are created equal.  Early this year, I built a server with an Imation =
32GB SSD as a boot drive and it failed on me within 3 months.  I could =
read the data off it, but it was no longer writable.  Don't get cheap if =
you go with SSD.  It burned me. =20

Lucas Holt
Luke@FoolishGames.com
MidnightBSD.org (Free OS)