Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:12:50 +0000
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cleaning

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> Rogue Spider wrote:
>
>> is there a freebsd equivalent to scandisk and
>> diskdefrag so that i can clean the drive it says on
>> start up that the dir are fragmented but after that i
>> am unsertain.
>
> If there is "fragmentation", it is cleaned up
> in the boot process (for 4.x) or done in
> the background after booting (on 5.x).

Did it changed? My last information is, *bsd checks
the disks at boot if they were not cleanly unmounted.
Otherwise there will nothing happens in this
direction.

> Note that "fragmentation" on a ufs volume
> is different from what you're used to
> on DOS/FAT filesystems.

Yes, fragments are parts of a block of a filesystem,
where several small files or tails of files are
stored together to avoid waste of space by using
an entire block for a small piece of data.

> As long as the box is running, you have no
> worries.  If there's ever a significant problem, you'll
> be told to boot single-user and fix it yourself
> using 'fsck'.

Or you didn't notice. Usually next boot will show you.
If a hardware failure occur, you may never notice except
you check your entire disk(s) and prove all sectors
on the disk.

Jens