Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:49:52 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org, pjd@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Making use of set_rcvar.

On 01/13/2012 16:32, Hiroki Sato wrote:
>  And I do not think it is a good idea to commit something related to
>  this topic while the discussion is ongoing.
>
>  We have reached a consensus that `set_rcvar` is expensive, but for
>  whether using literal or variable we haven't.

Quite frankly I'm not interested in the consensus at this point. You and
others have brought up several justifications for the way you want to do
it, and I've systematically pointed out that they're all wrong.
"Consensus" doesn't mean something is right, it just means it's the
least objectionable option, which is a terrible way to run a railroad.

Chris was right that there is absolutely no question that not having to
dereference the variable is faster. How much faster really isn't the
point. Every little bit helps, especially on embedded/slower systems.

So just relax, stop trying to make this a pissing contest, and focus
your attention on something useful, like fixing openbgpd and
TCP_SIGNATURE. :)

Doug

--

	You can observe a lot just by watching.	-- Yogi Berra