Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 12:31:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      craig@tuna.progroup.com (Craig W. Shaver)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need Help Installing Ports, etc on 2.2.5

> On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Parker Brown wrote:
>
> > Until 2.2.2 & 2.2.5 I don't remember having problems using lynx to
> > access the handbook and faqs file included in distribution.  I'm using a
> > little over a gig for FreeBSD, so space is not problem, and after
> > installation I have a substantial /usr/ports file (/distrib is empty),
> > and there is a lynx directory in  www.
> > Anyway, i now realize that I haven't a clue as to how to install a ports
> > or packages file after installation.  I've tried playing with
> > /stand/sysinstall as well as copying various directoies into
> > /usr/ports/distribution (sp?) and using make.  No success with anything.
>
> To install a port:
>
> cd /usr/ports/category/program
> make
> su; make install
>
> The system will automatically fetch the distfiles from the net if you
> don't have them in /usr/ports/distfiles from the CDROM.
>
> To uninstall, do pkg_delete port-x.x.  Use /var/db/pkg/ as a reference for
> the name.

I had trouble with getting ports from the cdrom after installing 2.2.5.
I found out that the ports distfiles were on the 4th cdrom in the
2.2.5 set of cdroms from walnut creek.  I mounted that cdrom and did
the soft link just like they said in the handbook and everything worked.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088