Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:50:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>, Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>, Lysenko Alexey Victorovich <rainbow@inter-trade.dn.ua>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[4]: I need Your advice

It would probably be more likely that a system would migrate all current
processes and threads to an identical box to maintain 100% uptime.  You
can do this with Java servlets and other systems already, but I am not
aware of an entire OS migrating itself to a host box while the home box is
upgraded and rebooted.

If you did clone a boxes current OS with complete libraries to a host box,
I bet it would be possible to freeze all systems, including  a snapshot of
the kernel to the temporary host, but you need to have an exact copy of
that systems resources.

Does anyone know a cluster manages this?  I have not had a good reason to
run a cluster yet and have not done it yet, but wonder if a cluster could
allow a node to reboot without disrupting the cluster.  And what if the
master node needed to reboot and get upgraded?  What is the prefered
method here?

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?