Date:      Thu, 04 Nov 1999 20:59:36 -0700
From:      Ben Schumacher <bs@cyalchemy.com>
To:        Dennis Ho Kai Keung <dennisho@hksite.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot Install FreeBSD on my new server

Dennis-

 From what I understand (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong), Dell's PERC
controllers are not currently supported by FreeBSD.  You can use vinum if
you're looking to do a RAID, solution, or if you're willing to invest in
more hardware, you'd have to purchase a controller support by FreeBSD,
currently DPT, and a few others.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  I was looking at doing the same thing,
but after finding out that the PERC controllers are not supported, I
decided to go ahead and get a Dell server and went with vinum, a solution
which I have been very happy with.

Hope this helps,
- Ben Schumacher