Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 01:02:01 +0200 (MET)
From:      Martin Kraft <kraft@hpcs14.dv.fal.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   i/o error with larger QIC

I know, the problem with some SCSI tape drives was already
reported and discussed during the last days. Maybe the following
information can help to address the problem better. If not, please
do not spend time on responding. I will follow this list and wait
for the solution.

My personal situation is, that after upgrading from FreeBSD 2.2.7 to 3.1
on sunday, I am not able to restore from part of my QIC tapes.

The drive is a:

sa0 at bt0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
sa0: <WANGTEK 5525ES SCSI M75D > Removable Sequential Access SCSI-CCS device
sa0: 4.32MB/s transfers (4.32MHz, offset 14)

I can read DC 6150 tapes (written under 2.2.7) without problems. But it
is impossible to read from a DC 6525:

su-2.02# tar -t
tar: read error on /dev/rsa0 : Input/output error
su-2.02# mt status
Mode      Density         Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  QIC-320         512 bytes      16000    unsupported
---------available modes---------
0:        QIC-320         512 bytes      16000    unsupported
1:        QIC-320         512 bytes      16000    unsupported
2:        QIC-320         512 bytes      16000    unsupported
3:        QIC-320         512 bytes      16000    unsupported
Current Driver State: at rest.
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0
su-2.02#

Thanks, Matthew, and everybody working on these drivers.

Martin Kraft