Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:16:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Gregory A. Carter" <omni@dynmc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: clarity on password crypt

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Nathan Ahlstrom wrote:

(re)
(re)  GVB <gvbmail@tns.net> wrote:
(re)  > Since I have been having problems with my passwd files on upgrades from
(re)  > 2.2.8 to 3.1 but not on upgrades from 3.0 to 3.1 I wanted to clear a few
(re)  > things up.  What style of crypt is listed here;
(re)  >
(re)  > root:6rKXEwLNbIiSw:0:0::0:0:root?:/root:/usr/local/bin/bash
(re)  >
(re)  > And what style of crypt has the $1$ in the password field and is about
(re)  > twice as long?
(re)
(re)  The one with the $1$ is the md5 crypt, it is the default.
(re)
(re)  > Which one of these is default?  Because all my old machines 2.2.7, 2.2.8
(re)  > etc have the style that I listed above, including my 3.0 machines.  When I
(re)  > went from 3.0 -> 3.1 nothing changed.  When I went from 2.2.8 -> 3.1 it
(re)  > changed and my passwords like the one listed above dont work now.

I've read the blasted handbook on the web and am still unclear of which
one is better, the crypt libs or the md5 libs.  And how to get your system
to read the other libs instead (i.e. do I have to recompile stuff or
what?).

Greg

| Dynamic Networking Solutions                     InterX Technologies |
| Senior Network Administrator                bits/keyID 1024/7DF9C285 |
| omni@interx.net omni@itstudio.net omni@undernet.org omni@webpop3.com |
+--------[  DC 50 57 59 C3 76 46 E8 EB 75 A8 94 FE 96 9E D3 ]----------+