Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 22:03:34 +1000
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre@telebot.net>
To:        "Colin Campbell" <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd v bsdi v linux

----- Original Message -----
From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 8:38 AM
Subject: freebsd v bsdi v linux

> Hi,
>
> Had an interesting installtion problem that has just been solved.
>
> Machine is a PIII 450 with 512MB (4x128)RAM. During installation of 3.2
> from the WC CD I'd get a wite failure or a panic of the machine or both.
> With 3.3 using NFS I just got a machine panic. These always happened
> during the bin dist unpacking.
>
> I tried RedHat 6.0 and the system panicked half way through the
> installation.
>
> The machine came with BSDI 3.1 on it. When I booted it for the first time
> I noticed that the system was reporting only 128MB RAM. Just BSDI
> weirdness I thought. Despite the repeated FreeBSD and Linux failures I was
> always able to install BSDI, but the system always reported 128MB RAM.
> Nothing dawned on me from this.
>
> Anyway, I started pulling DIMMs from the box. With only slot 1 occupied
> FreeBSD installed no problems. I pulled that DIMM and put two others in.
> No problems. Added the first one to give 384MB, no problems. Put the
> untested DIMM in and the machine wouldn't even boot! Hmm bad memory!
>
> To test a theory I then installed BSDI 3.1 again. Interestingly it now
> reported 384MB RAM. This now leads me to my question:
>
> What is BSDI doing that made it recognise the bad memory in slot 2, and
> hence only work with the first 128MB, that Linux and more importantly
> FreeBSD are NOT doing? Anyone think it's a useful enough feature to be
> added to the system? It measn that if you think you have xMB and the OS
> comes up with yMB you might have a problem.

Personally, I'm all for it, as I am (was?) having ther same problem..I've
got a scavenged p200MMX with 64Megs of RAM that I was hoping to deploy as a
proxy/firwall for my home network (2 clients), unfortunately, FreeBSD (3.2)
reports panic:GPFs , tries to sync disks, gives up, and reboots.
All red hat did was go :Aiee! [something about stopping the interrupt
handler] and hang.
I was really looking forward to setting that box up, but I'm gonna have to
wait till the RAM prices go down again. (AUD400 for 64 megs????)

Sorry if that was a rant...