Date:      Wed, 01 Apr 1998 06:25:40 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@nebula.tbe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stuck console

> On exit from X last night my vty console did not recover. Normally I login
> via vty0 and launch startx. Am running the XF86_Mach64 server.
>
> Today, I telent'ed in from another system and launched startx. So for now
> I'm functioning without having to reboot. Alt-F[1-4] do nothing. The
> Scroll Lock key does nothing. Any way to reset the text console?

This problem occurs when we, as humans become impatient with the
computer.  I've had these hangs ever since I've started using FreeBSD
way back at 2.0.5.  The hangs have occured while using XF86 and XiG's X
servers.

To reproduce the hangs, you just need a little impatience.  Just hit
Alt-F? when X blanks the screen but before X has a chance to display
anything, e.g. before X comes up after XDM starts up, just after
logging out but before XDM (or DTLOGIN for CDE users) has a chance to
display the login screen, or when my second machine at home (used as an
X terminal) starts up X (Xserver -query <other_system> in rc.local, and
the console tty's just hang but the X server starts up O.K.

The only way to get the console tty's back is to reboot.

I don't think that this is a serious problem.  I just remember to keep
my grubby little fingers off the keyboard when logging out or when the
X server is starting up.  Besides, if you're using a FreeBSD system as
an X terminal and the console tty's hang, I'd consider that a security
feature.  This way your customers have to use the XDM login.

UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca