Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 11:26:35 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        dan@ns1.wolf.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, pirate@wolf.com, arivera@flex.net
Subject:   Re: "wd0: interrupt timeout:" meaning?

On Thursday,  4 February 1999 at 16:52:40 -0800, dan@ns1.wolf.com wrote:
> As the subject indicates, I've just started getting
> messages like:
>
> "/kernel: wd0: interrupt timeout:" and
> "/kernel: wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0"
>
> in my /var/log/messages (FreeBSD 2.2.8 running a
> Celeron 333A with 256 MB RAM).  The drive in question
> is a brand-new IBM DTTA-350840.
>
> I assume this means that I'm pretty well screwed, and
> better plan on replacing this drive ASAP.  Could someone
> familiar with this particular error message advise whether
> this is an appropriate assumption? Since I also just lost
> a Quantum UltraSCSI drive this morning, I'm not having a
> lot of luck with disk drives!

I don't think this means that your drive is dying.  The status is
correct; about the only obvious thing is that it's asserting drq, a
DMA request.  2.2.8 doesn't support DMA; I see two possibilities:

1.  The BIOS is setting the drive up to run in DMA mode, and things
    aren't working so well because the system doesn't handle it.

2.  The 'dma' status is noise, and your IDE controller has missed an
    interrupt.

How often does this happen?  Does the drive work at all?  Has it ever
worked?  Can you specify DMA mode in your BIOS?

Greg