Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 2004 00:51:34 +0100
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        "Haapanen, Tom" <tomh@waterloo.equitrac.com>
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Dual processor, AMD 64 machine freezing.

On 02/01/04 18:34:10 -0500 Haapanen, Tom wrote:

> I run a K8S Pro with dual 244s (couldn't find any 246s and the 248s were
> just too dear for me) and 2 GB ... and I started off with an Adaptec 2100S
> RAID, but had consistent panics when booting.  Apparently the aac driver
> isn't exactly 64-bit clean.

The 2100S isn't driven by aac(4) but by asr(4). The asr-driver is
in fact not 64-bit clean (as Scott Long stated multiple times :-/).
The aac-driver is perfectly fine with the 64 bits (for me). It
survives heavy i/o load without a hitch. I ran quite a bunch of
tests (parallel bonnie++ spreaded over multiple raid volumes and
multiple file systems, postmark, etc.) with my 2200S, 2120S and
5400S.

> P.S. For best performance, I think you really want to run 4x 512 MB.
> Running with two DIMMs means either you only get 64-bit memory access (not
> 128-bit) or else you need to put both DIMMs into the CPU1 memory slots
> (which means CPU2 will have to access those through hypertransport).

Thats theory. ;-)
Since the allocators don't know about the numa-like architecture
memory would be accessed through hyptertransport (statistically)
more or less "half of the time". (CPU0 ---> HT ---> MEM1 ;
CPU1 ---> HT ---> MEM0)

-Andreas