Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 22:20:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   softupdates & fsck

While doing various evil things with a machine running current, I've managed
to get it to panic a number of times.  That and getting some filesystem
damage as a result don't bother me, but I am bothered by the type of
filesystem damage that I'm seeing.  When fsck runs at boot time, it finds
a number of orphaned directories, which it reconnects in lost+found.
For some reason, they end up with their link count being too low.  If
I try to "rm -r" them, they are emptied of their contents, except for
"." and "..", at which point they are unremovable because their link
count is 1 instead of 2.  I've also seen directories elsewhere in the
tree end up with a link count that's too low.  If I unmount the filesystem
and run fsck again, fsck notices the problem, reports "UNEXPECTED SOFTDEP
INCONSISTENCY", and fixes the problem.  There may be files with the
wrong link count as well.

My suspicion is that the first fsck run is getting the link counts wrong
when it repairs the filesystem.  I've taked a look at the fsck code, but
haven't gotten too far, mostly because the code is so well commented -- NOT!