Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:19:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Torbjorn Kristoffersen <sgt@netcom.no>
To:        David Kirchner <dpk@parodius.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'ps' and 'top' - what do the various negative priorities mean?

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, David Kirchner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a man page or some sort of reference to what all of the
> priority values mean as reported in 'top' or 'ps -o pri'? I've seen
> -6, -18, -22, etc, and am trying to figure out what seeing a lot of
> each of them would mean for server performance.
>
> - dpk

I think this is off-topic..
Anyhow, the priority values for the processes range from PRIO_MIN (-20)
to PRIO_MAX (20). Zero is neutral. This is how the scheudling of the
processes are arranged. A negative value like -15 means the process
will go faster than if the priority value was 15.

So if you have a dedicated SETI@Home computer, you could run 'setiathome'
with a priority of -18 for example:-)

renice(1)
nice(1)