Date:      Sun, 03 Oct 1999 13:46:36 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Back UPS Tools Trouble

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> I have been trying to get my PC to listen to my APC Back-UPS 500. I've
> looked at upsd and upsmond in the ports, but they are for Smart-UPSes,
> not Back-UPSes. I have bkpupsd from the ports installed, but it does
> not seem to work. It runs just fine, but if I pull the plug on the
> UPS, it does not seem to notice there is a problem (although I clearly
> hear the UPS's annoying beeps).

	I had the same problem using the cable provided by APC and their
windows client. The program does confirm communication with the UPS, but
pulling the plug does not register an "event" with the ups monitor. I
have a backups (non-pro) 450. At this point I strongly suspect that apc
simply put the wrong cable in my box. I've been trying to find an
authoritative source for the cable pinouts so I can just build my own,
but I haven't yet. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to contact apc
about this, but if you beat me to it, or find a program that works
please keep me up to date, I'd really like to get this working.

Thanks,

Doug
--
"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty."