Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:11:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Gateway? (I read all TFM's - really!)

small must have a default route to big (which I think you already have).
If the result is exactly the same, make sure small is configured with DNS
servers in /etc/resolv.conf so that name resolution works.  Another thing
you can try is a source ping from the inside interface on big:

ping -S 192.168.10.1 www.freebsd.org

See if NAT is actually working on big.  If that works, then NAT is not
your issue.  Try pinging the IP address on your tun0 interface from small.
That will tell you if your routing is good.

Joe