Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 11:38:50 +0200 (EET)
From:      Jukka Ukkonen <jau@jau.csc.fi>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rusers(3) & rnusers(3)

Quoting Terry Lambert:

> > > 	After getting a bit frustrated of not having the library routines
> > > 	rusers(3) and rnusers(3) available on FreeBSD I wrote them as well
> > > 	as the underlying xdr_utmpidlearr etc. I have tested them to work
> >
> > Cool!  Anybody going to pick this one up?  Should I?
>
> Note that it was not posted under BSD license.  It was limited such
> that you are not allowed to sell it.

	Well, my note did not say you should not sell e.g. a CD containing
	the code I sent. Selling the CD is really charging for packaging
	together the freely available code in a single distribution media.
	If the same FreeBSD distribution is available in the net for anyone
	to take at will, it surely counts as freely available. Selling the
	CD is not charging for the packaged software per se, but in fact
	charging for the service (collection & maintenance of the software
	etc.) and the media. So, there is no problem there. Don't panic.
	Neither does such a note prevent anyone from using FreeBSD as
	the operating system for some other product or service e.g. a
	firewall system that one is about to sell to someone.

	Notice also that I sent the code to others to test and review.
	The actual licensing terms can be adjusted to a more suitable
	and more formal representation later if necessary (maybe to BSD
	or GNU style) if you think you wish to include the code in the
	FreeBSD distribution. (The same goes naturally for NetBSD or
	Linux or whatever freely available UNIX style OS, which you can
	grab from the net.)

	My note simply meant that you can distribute the code without
	limitation to anyone who is interested, but _for the moment_
	I am still the owner of the rights to it, whether there is any
	"intellectual" property contained in it or not.

	Cheers,
		// jau
------
  /    Jukka A. Ukkonen,       FUNET / Centre for Scientific Computing
 /__   M.Sc. (sw-eng & cs)               Tel:   (Home) +358-0-6215280
   /   Internet: ukkonen@csc.fi                 (Work) +358-0-4573208
  /    Internet: jau@funet.fi                 (Mobile) +358-400-606671
 v     X.400:    c=fi, admd=fumail, no prmd, org=csc, pn=jukka.ukkonen