Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 17:44:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, tim@storm.digital-rain.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

:>     2.6 MB/sec is what I would expect if you were running the test
:>     over an ssh link on a fast cpu - the encryption eats a lot of cpu.  But
:>     a normal rcp or ftp or data transfer can easily do 9-10 MBytes/sec.
:
:	That was actually done with ftp between two machines connected
:Full Duplex to a Cisco Catalyst 2924XL switch.
:Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____

    You've got breakage somewhere, I've run 9-10 MBytes/sec in both
    directions at once through a catalyst between two FreeBSD boxes at
    full-duplex.

    Check for interface errors or collisions - this kinda sounds like the
    duplex hasn't been matched up.  You should have no errors and no
    collisions at all if you are running full-duplex.  Make sure the duplex
    and port speed on the catalyst is hardwired -- we have had no end of
    troubles with the autodetect junk on catalysts.  It also doesn't hurt to
    hardware the duplex and port speed on the UNIX boxes.

    If you still have problems there are a number of possibilities.  If you
    are using discrete RJ45 ports try switching the cables as well as use
    a different catalyst port.  If you are using telco cables - those big
    fat 50 or 100 pair cables that use centronics-like connectors on the
    catalyst side hat, you probably have an RJ45 punchdown block on the other
    end.  These have to be Cat-5 punchdown blocks, not Cat-3 punchdown blocks.
    Try a different port on the punchdown block.

						-Matt