Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 11:22:15 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Andrew Sharp <andy@accrue.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        x5gb7uk9@wna-linknet.com
Subject:   Re: home network

On Tue, May 12, 1998 at 12:49:02PM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> also, remember that freebsd drivers rarely (never?) handle auto-media
> sensing.

This is wrong.  I've not yet seen an NE2000 not auto-sense correctly.
I believe (but I'm not going to be any money ;-) that the only drivers
that have problems with auto-sense are the 3COM drivers.  I made an
attempt at adding auto-sense support to the vx driver (3C90X et al),
but dropped it due to (a) the protocol for doing autosense seeming to
be nonsensically specified (deadlocks, IIRC), and (b) somebody else
saying they had started work on writing an entire new driver (which
made further work meaningless).

Eivind.