Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:14:36 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: TODO items for 5.3R

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 12:25:04AM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
>  - X.org
>=20
>    The handbook includes a section "The X Window System," but this is
>    mainly for XFree86.  Although the difference is not so large from the
>    point of view of configuration, we should mention both of X.org and
>    XFree86.

For persons who want to work on this, they should read:

- http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.7.0/doc/RELNOTES3.html#4
  especially this part:

---
Trademark law requires that there be no ambiguity about the use of a
trademark, so the documentation, error message, name of the X
executable, configuration file name, etc., have all been changed to
avoid confusion of X.Org's implementation with the XFree86[tm]
trademarked implementation. Some of the changes made include:

    * The name of the X server is Xorg, rather than XFree86.
    * The name of the X server configuration file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    * rather than /etc/X11/XF86Config. If xorg.conf does not exist, the
    * server will look for the old name.
    * The config file and servername in xorg.cf is build time
    * configurable.
    * The vendor string was updated to "X.Org Foundation".
    * The X server's log file name was changed to Xorg.?.log.
    * xf86cfg was renamed xorgcfg.
    * xf86config was renamed xorgconfig.
    * All messages emitted by the server in the log were updated to
    * reflect the change in name.
    * The module loader was modified to accept either XFree86 generated
    * modules or X.Org generated modules.
    * Manual pages and other documentation was updated.
---

- and synopsis of X(7) manual page coming with Xorg:

---
The  X.Org  Foundation  requests  that the following names be used when
referring to this software:

                                   X Window System
                                    X Version 11
                             X Window System, Version 11
                                         X11

X Window System is a trademark of The Open Group.
---

To sum up: the differences between XFree86 are, for the moment, mostly
on the names.  So one should change section titles and some sentences,
for something more generic i.e. changing XFree86 for X11 or X.  And then
each time it's necessary, Xorg examples must be added (installation, Xorg
-configure, etc.).  References to XFree86 3.X may be removed.
Of course the synopsis of the chapter must be updated to mention Xorg and
the X.Org Foundation.

Even if it seems I spent time thinking about the update, I have no time to
do it by myself, but I will have enough time to review the changes :)

Marc

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G--