Date:      Sun, 05 Sep 1999 16:26:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        chris@tourneyland.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Hoping to configure DNS

On 05-Sep-99 chris@tourneyland.com wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I would like to get DNS going on my little 3-5 node network. It's connected
> to the Internet via ADSL. Currently my gateway machine is one of the
> Southwest Bell machines (that's my ISP - I don't know if that's
> significant). I plan to do web serving, and mail & ftp as well (plus mabe
> some other stuf).

Here be the dragons but wtf ...

what version of BIND do you have ? (head /usr/src/contrib/bind/CHANGES)
assigned IP(s) ?
firewall ?
ipfw ?
natd ?

> Currently, I'm reading in my Unix book about configuring DNS, but it's a
> little tricky. I'm what to put in /etc/rc to invoke named at boot time

fir.dread$ grep named /etc/rc.conf
named_program="/usr/sbin/named"           # path to named,
named_enable="YES"
named_flags=""

                                                               (my
> humorous attempt to just invoke it from the command line led to a
> bewilderment of complaints),

named needs a configuration file and one or more zone files before running.

                               and I'm not entirely sure what to put in my
> named.boot file for my primary server (let alone any secondaries I might

"named.boot" is for the 4.9 bind, "named.conf" for 8.1.x

to run a minimal server (4.9.x):
cd /etc/named
sh make-localhost

then in your named.boot
--------------
directory       /etc/namedb
; type    domain                source host/file                backup file
cache     .                                                     named.root
primary   0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA  localhost.rev
;
; the upstream server
forwarders 209.99.46.75 209.99.46.80
options forward-only
;
-----------

Also check the newsgroup comp.protocols.dns.bind, and get the grasshopper book
for anything serious.

post me should you have other questions.

Regards,
---
Don Read                                 dread@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager                                  dread@texas.net
Calcasieu Lumber Co.                               Austin TX
-- But I'm in good company, sendmail has kicked a great many
     butts in the past