Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2003 16:37:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        john@utzweb.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: would a PCCard Sound device have insurmountable problems?

In message: <86el4z16g4.wl@utweb.net>
            "John L.Utz III" <john@utzweb.net> writes:
: I am thinking about purchasing an ESS688 based PCMCIA soundcard for
: my laptop.

I don't think there's any pcmica soundcard support in FreeBSD at the
moment.

: I'm buying it for the midi part ( yes, i know that we dont have working
: midi, but i dork around with the driver from time to time ).
:
: In order to support the midi in  function, it would need two irq's.
:
: can we do 2 irq's yet?

No.  PCMCIA cards only have 1 IRQ.  There's only 1 INT pin.  There's
some other signalling for bad battery and such that some cards abuse
as a second interrupt, but we don't really support that at the moment.

: are there other issues with going thru the pccard slot that would cause
: noticable audio latencies?

DMA isn't supported for 16-bit pcmcia cards either.  The bridges
require some funky setup to make this happen, and it is very bridge
dependent, iirc.

These are solvable problems, but aren't solved problems.

Warner