Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2012 18:00:09 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Ivan Alexandrovich <ivsan@ngs.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting counters for a plenty of vlan ifaces

On 9/16/2012 10:41 AM, Ivan Alexandrovich wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are running freebsd9.0 on a router with
> more than 1000 of subscriber's vlan interfaces.
> Outgoing packet rate is approximately 40 kpps.
>
> There's a need to collect bytes and packets
> counters for all those vlan interfaces every
> minute (or even twice a minute) and store them

Hi,
	We approach it a little differently and collect all the data via
netflow, or in this case argus.  I sample the parent interface and save
all the flow data which argus is smart enough to parse out at the vlan
level.  You can then run all sorts of fine grained reports this way.  We
use it on a system with about 900 ng interfaces.

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400