Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2012 19:32:45 -0600
From:      Dan Allen <danallen46@airwired.net>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Dan Allen <danallen46@airwired.net>, List FreeBSD-STABLE Mailing <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: local APIC error 0x40

On 24 Jul 2012, at 4:26 AM, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> Does your system slows down with these messages ? 0x40 means that some
> code tried to send IPI with interrupt number from the range of =
assigned
> CPU faults. I believe that FreeBSD code never does that.

So, I reverted to=20

  $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/i386/machdep.c,v 1.688.2.31 2012/06/13 15:25:52 =
jhb Exp $

and rebuilt the kernel.  By making that one change my fan problem is =
fixed!  No more 0x40 msgs, although I only have 1 core again due to my =
use of hint.apic.0.disabled=3D"1" in /boot/loader.conf.

So, the most recent changes done to machdep.c are the culprit!

I also booted from a FreeBSD 9.0 CD and it has the same string of 0x40 =
error messages with its default configuration and an empty =
/boot/loader.conf file, so both the latest changes to BSD 8.3 as well as =
the BSD 9.0+ tree have got dealing with Intel Core Duo chips wrong.  (My =
Pentium 4 and Intel Atom machines running RELENG_9 are fine and show no =
problems.  It is just my old Toshiba Satellite U205 w/Core Duo that has =
these problems.)

I booted from an OpenBSD 5.0 CD and it works just fine in every way.  =
Maybe I'll just run OpenBSD 5 on the Toshiba and call it a day.

Dan