Date:      Sat, 17 May 2003 05:30:06 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Ralph Forsythe <rf-list@centerone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3ware or other ATA RAID?

I use quite a few 3ware cards. The only "Cant rebuild" issue is when you
have physical errors on BOTH drives of a RAID 1 set, you cant force the
drive to rebuild.  i.e you take one of the 2 drives out that is bad, put =
in
a new one and then try and rebuild.=20

However, you are generally going to replace the drives as they go bad and
not wait around for both drives to physically die.  Other than that the
3ware cards work really great under FreeBSD. Stable, fast and reliable.

	---Mike

On Thu, 15 May 2003 10:06:55 -0600 (MDT), in sentex.lists.freebsd.isp you
wrote:

>Yeah, it's the dead-disk part that scares me.  Most of what I've been
>reading suggests that BSD can't repair the disk safely, or at all, and =
you
>have to boot into a Linux CD just to restore the array.  Naturally, I
>think that sucks.
>
>Thanks for all the replies so far, I'm still not sure what I'm going to =
do
>here...
>
>- Ralph
>
>On Thu, 15 May 2003, Alvin Gunkel wrote:
>
>> Ralph,
>>
>> I've been running an older 3Ware card, a 6k series with four drives =
for
>> almost a year now without a problem.  Granted I haven't had a disk die=
>> test, but it's been rock solid.
>>
>> Alvin
>>
>> > I know FreeBSD support for the 3ware controllers is sketchy, I've =
read the
>> > archives.  My original plan was to run FreeBSD with a 3ware 7500-8
>> > controller and a stack of 250gb drives (mmm, storage!).  So my =
alternative
>> > is to run Linux, or find another controller that works with BSD.
>> >
>> > Any recommendations?  I need it to work; the marginal "it might =
rebuild
>> > your array" types of things I'm hearing with BSD is scaring me, and =
>> > don't
>> > like wondering if my 2TB array will fix itself without major work.  =
If BSD