Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:30:57 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff@mountin.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lynx and refresh

In the last episode (Oct 29), Jeffrey J. Mountin said:
> This is rather odd.
>
> Lynx will not refresh every N seconds for URL's with ?refresh=N at
>  the end. Checked the man page, command line options, and web site.
>
> Or is this just not possible (at this time) with lynx.

?refresh=N means nothing.  That's just a query arg passed to the
server.  Refreshes are usually done with a <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"
CONTENT=300> tag inside the document.

Timed refreshing in lynx is possible, but not done, for a variety of
reasons.  My personal reason?  I hate it when a page changes when I'm
in the middle of reading it. See
http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0397/msg00883.html for another
person's explanation of why lynx doesn't auto-refresh.

Would a "while sleep 1 ; do lynx -dump http://my.server/status ; done"
suffice for your purposes?

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com