Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:41:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Erez Zadok <ezk@cs.columbia.edu>
To:        Jan Pechanec <pechy@hp735.cvut.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Working filesystem stacking - where to find it ?

In message <Pine.SGI.4.05.9910261050380.19154-100000@akat.civ.cvut.cz>, Jan Pechanec writes:

> 	Hello,
>
> 	please, where can I find _working_ filesystem stacking? AFAIK,
> FreeBSD 3.x distributions don't contain working implementation.
> FreeBSD 2.x? NetBSD, OpenBSD, 4.4 (I am not sure it 4.4 is
> downloadable and installable on Intel) ???
>
> 	I would like to look at it closely, so except source code, I
> want to play with it.
>
> 	Thank you, Jan Pechanec.
>
> --
> Jan PECHANEC (mailto:pechy@hp735.cvut.cz)
> Computing Center CTU (Zikova 4, Praha 6, 166 35, Czech Republic)
> http://www.civ.cvut.cz, tel: +420 2 2435 2969, http://pechy.civ.cvut.cz

I've "fixed" stacking in freebsd 3.0, by using synchronous writes, and using
read/write for getpage/putpage.  My code does not change anything in the
kernel; all my work is inside loadable, stackable f/s kernel modules.  It's
slower than what it should be, but it works, without having to dive into the
controversy of how to fix the broken freebsd VFS.  This was done in an early
3.0, and I've not had the chance to see what it takes to port it to 3.3 or
4.0.  I suspect not much, but at least the newer lkm interface should be
used.

	http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~ezk/research/software/

Feel free to contact me in you have any questions regarding my code.

Erez.