Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:10:14 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        dwcjr@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CUPS support can be unconditional

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 01:42:33PM -0500, Joe Clarke wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Alan Eldridge wrote:
>
>> I would recommend, upon some reflection, doing this the way we did in
>> kdelibs.  That is, cups-base is unconditional. If somebody really
>> wants to use cups, they can't rely on another port to suck it in via
>> dependency anyway; it doesn't work without being configured.
>
>I don't understand why your making CUPS mandatory for Samba.  Some users
>won't want it period.  They'll want to stick with BSD printing (like for
>use with apsfilter).  This will cause unnecessary download and build time.

So Cups users should instead be required to build from source rather
than use packages?

A user who installs both samba and cups from packages (for example,
when installing a new system from CDROM) finds that it won't work?

That is a rather gross violation of POLA.

--
Alan Eldridge
Pmmfmffmmfmp mmmpppppffmpmfpmpppff PmpMpmMpp ppfppp MpfpffmppmppMmpFmmMpm