Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:52:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        jgreco@ns.sol.net (Joe Greco)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ncrcontrol-like utility for CAM?

Joe Greco wrote...
> > > Will there be an ncrcontrol-like utility for CAM?  I'm mainly interested
> > > in statistics, and was unable to find anything obvious after looking over
> > > the CAM stuff in 3.0-19981015-BETA.  It'd be a nice addition, and it was
> > > a feature I had always missed with the ahc (and others) driver.
> >
> > What kind of statistics?  Most interesting statistics should be available
> > through systat(1), iostat(8) and vmstat(8).
> >
> > There are other stats that are recorded in the devstat(9) system, but that
> > aren't displayed in the stats-display utilities.  (like the number of
> > ordered tags, number of outstanding transactions)  There's a program on my
> > ftp site that will dump out the contents of all the devstat(9) structures
> > in the system:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.kdm.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam/ds.c
> >
> > If there are stats that aren't available that you'd like to see, let me
> > know so I can keep them in mind for future enhancements.
>
> Well, yes...  heh, I sort of lost this thread a year ago.  :-)

No kidding.

> I'd really like to see per-bus statistics.  i.e. I'd like to be able to
> tell that the reason I'm seeing 3MB/sec to an UW drive on scbus0 is because
> scbus0 is maxxed out (which you could determine if you had overall bus stats
> for scbus0...)

It would certianly be possible to do, but it would be tricky.  You'd run
into tricky situations in multi-path environments, and I suppose you'd have
to charge the transactions against one path or another.

> I _think_ ncrcontrol provided that sort of information...

It's possible, I dunno for sure.

I'll keep it in mind as a possible future enhancement.  Obviously, don't
hold your breath. :)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry