Date:      Sat, 04 Apr 1998 13:35:32 -0100
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice for diagnosing X hangs / kernel hangs?

At 12:30 03.04.98 -0800, you wrote:
>> >Hm... I agree with you -- this may be a SCSI problem (see the comments in
>> >-stable about SCSI stuff).
>>
>> ??? "-stable" ? What do you mean ???

>recommend it if you are running anything in 2.2 , especially if you run
>anything between releases.

UUUuuuh ... i am running FreeBSD-2.1.5 and i am happy with it ;)
I want to upgrade to something higher but not until i have found a
solution for this damned freezes.

>Since this may be a SCSI problem, I'll probably send a quick note to
>freebsd-scsi as well.

Hm ... i really should subscribe to -scsi .

>> >I now have a 2nd machine so I can try to telnet when next my system hangs.
>> No use. Done it already. As i said. When my machine freezes, it is like
>> shock-frozen, nothing works. Not even a ping comes back when pinging
>> it. Therefor I dont believe you will be able to telnet into it.
>Yeah, my system just hung while running the program I supplied and it was
>unpingable.
>
>However, this isn't the symptom that I had heard of previously in the
>-stable list for SCSI bugs.  It may be termination, however.

So your hangs seem to be the same hangs that i see on my machine and the
reason for this hangs should be the same also, without knowing what the real
reason is.
Our problem is definately not an OS-bug. It is a hardware-problem IMO.
That hangs happen on FreeBSD as well as Win95 and always when the
scsi-bus is busy with heavy load where more than one device are involved.
It never happens when the scsi-bus is heavy-loaded with just one device.

>> >I have also had great success in reducing my hangs by running the
>> >following program from another virtual console:
>> This is fighting the symptoms ... no real solution. But for the time, until
>> a solution is found, it is undoubtly useful.
>Yes, and if we can find a way to reliably prevent the hangs from software,
>then it may help in diagnosing the cause.

I dont think you can prevent the hangs by software. My problem for now is,
how to reproduce that hangs on demand.
Again, my candidate is noise on TERM-POWER. I have just one device that
has some jumpers to play with active/passive-termination AND term-power.
It is the SONY-SDT-7000 tape-drive.
When terminating the scsi-bus passive, i get disastrous crashes at bootup.
When terminating the scsi-bus active with term-power-jumper set to
"provided" by scsi-bus, i had no hangs so far.
When terminating the scsi-bus active with term-power-jumper set to
"not provided" by the scsi-bus, i had that hangs.
My paper of the jumper-setting on the sony-sdt-7000 is really bad, so i am
not sure what the term-power-jumper and the "dc-disable"-jumper really do.
I have to guess.
All other devices on my bus dont have a jumper for term-power. If they are
set to terminate the scsi-bus, they do it active. But i dont know, if they
are getting term-power from the scsi-bus or in some other way. Further i
dont know if they supply term-power to the scsi-bus. Therefor i set the
sony-sdt-7000 as the terminating device.
A final answer if noise on term-power is causing this hangs can be obtained
by cutting the term-power-line on the scsi-cable at both ends of it. But this
is an irreversible step.
I am not sure if i should take that step.
Do you have a device with jumpers to enable and disable term-power ?

Malte Lance
malte@webmore.com