Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:04:30 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Asenchi <bsd@pal3.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buildworld times

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Asenchi wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:26:28 -0800
> John Kennedy <jk@jk.homeunix.net> wrote:
>
> +> On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 01:33:02PM -0600, Bob Willcox wrote:
> +> > I've never experienced _that_ big (3-fold) of difference when
> running+> > buildworlds back-to-back though.
> +>
> +>   I did it back to back and clocked it at 33 minutes, followed by 29.
>  Just+> a regular GENERIC build, no modifications, on a 3.2GHz P4.
>
> I have been watching this thread and am curious.  Are you all building
> kernels that are already 'built'?  What I mean is are you just:
> cd /usr/src && make buildkernel && make installkernel? or is everyone
> changing things?
>
> I just made buildkernel and it seemed like around 10 minutes on:
>
> Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
> CPU: AMD Duron(TM) (1800.08-MHz 686-class CPU)
>
> I am curious how I get the time?  Is it simply this command?
>
> time make buildkernel
>
> Thanks for any input.  I am on a lag with these lists (there are so many
> messages to read!) so please excuse the latency.

	I'm getting 16 minutes with GENERIC kernel + added things and
disabled WITNESS options on a P4-2.6Ghz Mobile CPU 2GB DDR266 memory.

I'm using:
time make buildkernel KERNCONF={NAMEOFKERNELECONFIGFILE}

	But I think we're talking about buildworld times which has
something to do with the kernel that is already running when you do the
buildworld.  My buildworld was 150 minutes with WITNESS and 74 minutes
without WITNESS.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin