Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 22:25:58 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        dmaddox@scsn.net
Cc:        Michael Imor <umji@cs.sunyit.edu>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Poor Performance from Linux RealPlayer

> On Sun, Jan 18, 1998 at 09:48:42PM -0800, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> > > I believe its because XFree86 doesn't use the scaling hardware on the video
> > > card so the CPU has to do all the scaling.
> > >
> > > Mike

> > That sounds about right -- We can however switch resolution on the fly
> > to sort of accomplish the same effect --- see fxtv 8)
> >
> > 	Cheers,
> > 	Amancio
> >

> Yeah, I've been usinng CTL-ALT-+ to 'simulate' zooming, but it sure would be
> nice to be able to play RealVideo fullscreen like I can in W95...  Oh, well.

Again, fxtv accomplish the same by just pressing space on the display
window and it does fill the entire screen very nicely and 30 frames/sec
of course 8)

> Anybody have any experience running the RealPlayer with the XiG servers?

Actually, it probably does not take that much effort to support scaling
and yuv -> rgb in the Xserver -- all it is required is the will of
someone to do it.

If you have a *pentium pro* or a *pentium II* you can increase significantly
your thruput, 20MB/sec to 90MB/sec.

  ftp://ftp.Uni-Bielefeld.DE/pub/systems/FreeBSD/lkoeller/fastvid.tar.gz

In the case of the real player this ought to increase its thruput.

	Cheers,
	Amancio