Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:43:57 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, Dave Evans <devans@hclb.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd not working on latest current 2002-10-20

Brooks Davis wrote:
> > > If someone who actually uses pppd could test it, perferably in both
> > > sceneios, I'll see about getting it commited.
> >
> > Try running you program when the module is there, but fails to load.
> > You got rid of the failure message that it used to print.
>
> No, it just let the default one be printed instead.  The one in the
> function was just plain wrong and the default one is reasonable:
>
> Sorry - this system lacks PPP kernel support
>
> You either had to know what you were doing or cluelessly fail to follow
> the exceptionaly simple instructions to build and install a
> kernel+modules to get to that point, so a long winded message explaning
> how to correct the problem isn't likely to be useful.  I suppose a
> better message could be written, but I didn't see a point.

It's a moderately common case in -CURRENT, when kernel structure
sizes change, and you build a new kernel without new modules, and
a module refuses to load.  It's not technically correct.  The old
message might not be either, but at least it had you looking in
the right place.

The whole area is pretty messy, unfortunately.  8-(.  Your patch
is a definite improvement, though the lack of a message makes the
failure case harder to diagnose, unless you happen to know that
it only happens when the module fails to load.

Anyway, it's at least improvement enough to stop people who have
a matching ppp module, but forgot to load it, from complaining.

-- Terry