Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2012 01:15:38 -0600
From:      Bryan Venteicher <bryan.venteicher@gmail.com>
To:        Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jim Harris <jimharris@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VirtIO in GENERIC

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 17 December 2012 18:06, Jim Harris <jimharris@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org>
>> wrote:

>>> It would be great to have the drivers enabled. You do not need the
>>> sys/conf/files changes, the common and arch files are combined.
>>>

>> Removing the virtio files from sys/conf/files ensures these drivers can
>> only be specified in x86 kernel configuration files.  r239009 added these
>> lines to sys/conf/files, but Bryan's patch does it more correctly.

Yes, I think the patch is correct for what I intended - support for
x86 only (for now).

> Linux supports virtio on ARM so I dont think its necessarily x86 MD. I guess
> it can be moved back later.

I think VirtIO on ARM (on QEMU) effectively requires VirtIO-MMIO,
which we don't support yet. And virtio_pci is probably missing some
bus_space_barriers() required for non-x86. Both are on my TODO, but
nobody has prodded me about either yet.