Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 05:42:51 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        G <G.S.J.Howell@swansea.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creative "Sound Blaster Live" compatability?

G wrote:
>Nocturne wrote:
>
>> There is currently no support for the Live.  I seem to recall someone
>> mentioning that Creative Labs was working on drivers for Linux.  I
>> also seem to recall that same someone saying they use the PCI128
>> card.  www.freebsd.org has been inaccessible for the past hour or so
>> I can't check the mail archives for you.  If you want to look for
>> yourself, search the -questions archive for Creative Labs and/or
>> PCI128.  The message was quite recent.
>
>ah, here we go....
>
>On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Joseph T. Lee wrote:
>> >
>> > Personally, I use the Live! in Windows, and the PCI128 (read Ensoniq
>> > AudioPCI) in FreeBSD.
>> >

>so this is two seperate cards, right?  Not one card in two modes, or
>something?

The PCI128 (read Ensoniq AudioPCI) is a different card altogether from
the Live.

>and then "Joseph T. Lee" wrote:
>
>> > An interesting thing about the SBLive is it's SB16 emu driver.  It
>> > works independently from the 'doze drivers in DOS.  I've used in dos
>> > mode for tracking and opencp without a hitch.  Even my legacy dos
>> > games work with it.
>> >
>> > Would it even be possible to write an emu driver along with a mod on
>> > the sb/sbmidi/sbxvi source?
>
>This is the bit which is making me think that its one card, ie the
>Live.  But even if the emu driver got written, I suspect it wouldn't
>help me to get access to the digital i/o, which is what I really want.

Actually, I wrote that.  The SBLive has a DOS driver that let's
programs play audio through a port, irq, and drq like those of
the SB16.  The SBLive is one card.

>> >I'd like to be able to transfer audio data from my Sony MiniDisc
>> >Recorder via the (optical) digital outputs direct to the computer.  I'd
>>
>> I've never heard of an optical output for audio hardware.  Was the
>> "optical" in reference to the nature of the media?  Are you possibly
>> referring to SPDIF or I2S?
>
>errr...  Not sure about SPDIF or I2S.  All I can tell you is that it is
>fairly common on current digital audio hardware (ie DAT, MD, CDRW, etc.)
>to have a digital output, which is generally either coax or optical, and
>the two are not compatible (although I read recently in a uk magazine
>called 'What Hi-Fi' about a converter that can be had for about 50
>ukp).  Sorry to be vague about this.  I just checked the Sony site
>[http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/md/spec_mds_je320.html] and it
>quotes the output as being "optical digital output."
>
>As I said before, I'm open to other recommendations, so if any of you
>guys out there know how I can do it, let me know.  Its looking like I'm
>going to have to ask the Windows guy to do it for me, and I know how
>much you'd all hate that.  ;o)

I just read the page...

I must be really out of date on audiophile stuff... Then again I've
never really been one to go for leading edge hardware (my workstaion
is the only exception).  Anyway, to answer your original question:

The SBLive doesn't have the inputs you're looking for.  In fact, I
can't think of any consumer sound card that has does.  A professional
(and much more expensive) card might have them, though.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the
gryph@mindless.com           /  \/OC/URNE       truth of another world